Tuesday 21 July 2015

My Thoughts on David Gilmour


When I was asked to listen to the song Marooned and Coming Back to Life by David Gilmour (Pink Floyd) I felt different. I felt stronger by the song (I didn't feel weak anymore). Having a song that you connect to is uplifting. You can always find a song to fit your mood or what you're going through in life. It made me think of the future, of how far I came in life with the 14 short years I've been living. I know it's going to be hard for an adult to understand why I say that but when you lose your identical twin sister to suicide and you are pushed into a life of advocating and speaking out against bullying, mental health and suicide awareness, you see and hear a lot!

These songs made my heart open. It is an instrumental song and the guitar made me think of band camp. Yes, I went to band camp. I prefer drums but Morgan preferred the guitar. Her guitar sits in my parents room untouched and her books in her tote of things. I am still waiting for my drum set (FYI Dad). It made me think of Morgan, of how she's happy and that she's in a better place and she's not hurting anymore. I have to think that way to keep a positive feeling.

My first impression about the Artist was that he was old, so I thought he was going to do an old song which he did but I didn't expect to connect with the song! It's like you're told to never judge a book by it's cover, never judge an Artist before listening to their music. I love old music. Well, old to me, not my parents. Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Toto, Aerosmith, and ACDC to name a few. I truly do love music. I adore it. I grew up with the music always playing just like my mom did. Morgan and I both did piano and vocal lessons, learned violin, and joined band in school where I played flute and she played trombone. Music was always a form of therapy in our family. You knew what we were feeling by what we listened to and when things were stressful mom always danced around the house with us to make us laugh. I truly have no words to explain everything I feel from listening to the song. It has made me remember good things and bad things, but it's a song I have connected to and really, that's all that matters is you connect and feel the song.

-Bailey Dunbar (AKA: IzzyB)


No comments:

Post a Comment